The Story about File sharing.
https://files.fm does a centralized cloud file storage and sharing web service since 2008.
In the file sharing field, there exists and existed several solutions and internet services since nineties.
Bulletin Board systems, FTP servers, Rapidshare, Mega Upload are some notable examples of centralized ones.
Torrents, Direct Connect, Napster, Kazaa, Edonkey etc were huge and popular decentralized file sharing P2P networks once.
Everybody was fascinated by the way they worked and what content was available there!
Unfortunately, the software networks and users were taken down and chased because of legal issues and serious disregard of copyrights... ☹
For obvious reasons - because the authors did not receive their fair compensation.
And they did not receive compensation because of several reasons:
1) service administrators didn’t give a shit about that
2) it was not clear how to deal with this issue at all
3) there was no constructive dialogue between the parties and a fair technical solution
But think about the technology side?
What amount of data was available on these networks and how do these networks technically work? Nowadays, only Google, Facebook and similar giants with a massive infrastructure can provide such services. Even Dropbox and Google Drive prevent you from sharing files in bulk, blocking traffic for 24 hours after 100 downloads and the like. Other file storage services also require the user to pay for download traffic as well to cover their maintenance costs.
Torrent and other P2P networks were able to work, because it’s a decentralized network of millions of united people and connected devices, who agree to share useful content in a form of files from their computers in exchange for files that other people have.
And somebody developed and supported the software and tech infrastructure for this to happen (the same IT devs and admins, who really didn’t care much about intellectual property or didn’t had the legal and finance power to handle that).
We would like to fix this and restore the magnificent usefulness of such kind of networks:
- Enable users of the internet to access useful free and paid content in a legal way
- Reward authors for their work
- Enable community members to receive remuneration for the performance of a valid work to store a digital heritage for the sake current and future internet users!
We will do that, by implementing:
- correct and viable business model
- semi-decentralized community supported storage platform
- blockchain as distributed, independent and read-only database to store copyrights, useful work done and reward distribution.
We are confident that we will succeed because of:
- We have extensive more than 10 years of experience of developing and supporting large scale storage systems. For some of the core development team members - since BBS and nineties.
- We have working https://files.fm cloud file storage platform to start
- We have Desktop and Mobile apps to add to the P2P network
- We have a monthly web userbase of about 1M users
- We want this to happen and have already some P2P components working 😊
We are implementing the World file library on a new hybrid fog computing construct basis, joining the best tech from both – centralized and decentralized worlds!
We ask You to join our ICO campaign - buy the Files.fm tokens, support our development and join the community to be able to receive and enjoy the benefits!
Please, register to the Token Sale Whitelist here: https://files.fm/ico
Please sign in to leave a comment.